Saturday, March 22, 2014

March Madness OGBC: Day 22

"What is the most gonzo kitchen sink RPG you ever played? How was it?"
Well, I suppose it's time to talk about Monsters and Other Childish Things.
To be fair, the entire kitchen sink doesn't really fall into the core book of Monsters Etc., but in Ross Payton's Road Trip, it definitely starts plucking from a variety of inspirations. Whether pulling liberally from Greek mythology, classic Orwellian literature, Saban after-school entertainment, summer blockbusters, or our utter obsession with Zombie culture, Road Trip takes you on a nostalgia trip through what is, essentially, a Generation Y-er's childhood.
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how to run Monsters, Etc., because I'm concerned that the proper way might be exactly how I don't like to GM, with players power-tripping over the entirety of the plot. Of course, there is the likelihood that in their power trip they make things worse, but I suppose in my mind, the concept of monsters existing means that PCs should be nigh-powerless.
It's a Call of Cthulhu mentality, and I'm not ashamed of it.
My first session with Monsters wasn't exactly my best introduction to the system, either, as I had easily seven people at my gaming table, all new to the One Roll Engine, and each having their own monster, courteously (or maliciously) run by the person to their left. This left me with essentially fourteen PCs that were acting like children because, well, they were playing children. I was utterly relieved when that game ended, and I don't think I'll ever go back.
I really don't think I'm cut out to be a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment