Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March Madness OGBC: Day 18

"What is the crunchiest RPG you have played? Was it enjoyable?"

Oh man GURPS. It's rare that I'll run a game and never look back. But when it comes to the Generic Universal RolePlaying System, yeah. I'll play it, but there's no way in hell I want to dredge through the mire of all its assorted sourcebooks and add ons to get what I want to do together.
I'll even come out and admit it. When I ran GURPS, I didn't even look at the rules more than once. I winged everything after the first session, because I didn't want to deal with the crunch. Part of that may have stemmed from the fact that in my party was a player who had more experience with the system than I cared to learn.
Regardless, after I shucked the rulebook I found things to proceed smoothly enough. Players were never in any danger, of course, because I had no idea how to kill them, and I'm talking mechanically, not fluff-wise. At the same time, the campaign, which was basically a "what if all those steampunk people who dress up today actually came from somewhere real," was a pretty interesting concept piece in cooperative world-building, so I had a player who had his own personal automaton mecha, a player who didn't want to CharGen himself so I made him have unintentional superpowers, and a character that knew all the rules so she gave herself an OP sniper rifle.
And a player who dropped out after the first session because she realized she didn't like RPGs.
So yeah, it was a fun experience, but only because I ignored the crunch.
...Does this blog post even count anymore? I feel like I cheated or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment